Tuesday, July 13, 2010

DIY Wall Art- First Post!



After slowly renovating our kitchen over the last 3 years, it's almost finished. Just those little details that fall between the cracks of a busy life are left. This huge bare wall has been begging for some art, but I haven't known what to do with it.

I had made some wedding plates as a wedding gift for some dear friends of ours, based on Mark Montano's silhouette plates from his Big Ass Book of Crafts. He uses clear glass plates and spray paint. After going through 4 sets of plates, I had enough and just went to the ceramic shop with photo stencils in hand. So that's what I did first this time. The trick to cutting stencils from photos is to black out the image (well...you don't have to, but I think it's much simpler) and cut out every detail, every eyelash and wispy hair.

I hung the plates on wall mounted plate-hangers and when they were on the wall, I wasn't quite happy. It just seemed too small. So, I looked at ordering some wall decals. But they were expensive, and I would have to wait. So I traipsed all around the mall looking for black contact paper to make my own, and there was none. Anywhere. Finally, about to cave and by pre-made
bird-shaped, mirror stickers I stumbled across peel and stick chalkboard paper. On sale! I snapped it up and ran home to cut out my little birdies and voila! My DIY wall art is complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...